Sunday, 20 July 2014

Chocolate Chip Cookies

chocolate chip cookies

When I was 16 I started my hairdressing training (yeah, I am a qualified hairdresser and No I never plan on working as a hairdresser again), this training was the beginning of a 2 year slog to become qualified only to immediately be followed  by being laid off the exact day I qualified. Damn recession!!

But it turned out that being laid off was possibly the best thing that could ever happen to me, however that's another long story for another time.

Now the town I grew up in, in Essex, was a great town. Full of elizabethan style buildings and yummy mummy coffee shops. Really looking back it's a pretty cute little town, or at least it was the last time I was there.


Now a good few months after I started working in the hair salon a gorgeous little bakery/cafe opened in the centre of town called Cafe CouCou (it's in Saffron Walden if you want to know the town and fancy a visit as from what I can remember it's a fabulous little place) now I'll admit I never so much as entertained getting an actual lunch there but they made the most delicious fresh cookies every morning.

chocolate chip cookies

If you were lucky to get in there early enough these cookie, which were made about the size of your hand if not bigger, were still warm, slightly gooey and oh so divine. I think I may have survived my entire apprenticeship on these babies. If it wasn't for them the remaining year wouldn't have been so good.

I will gladly admit that yes I still occasionally have dreams about those cookies and that beautiful little cafe is one of the main reasons I'm desperate to visit home, my family being the other reason of course.

So in my attempts to find cookies that rival those 'essexonian' cookies over here, an attempt that has been entirely futile as of yet I decided the best thing I could do was try and make my own.

Instead of going for the double chocolate as I remember Cafe CouCou doing so well I went with a traditional chocolate chip cookie,because for all my cookie endeavours since I started this blog I've never shared a simple and tasty chocolate chip cookie recipe with you.

And this is what I came up with, they are gorgeously chewy in the centre and crispy on the edges. They're buttery and chocolatey and quite frankly everything I adore in a chocolate chip cookie. I'll go as far as saying they are the best chocolate chip cookie I've ever had and I made them the size of my hand so they truly were indulgent.

chocolate chip cookies


Makes 12-14 Large Cookies

Ingredients:

115g / 1/2 Cup Butter (Good Quality)
70g / 1/3 Cup Caster Sugar
100g / 1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 Medium Egg
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 Tsp Almond Extract
200g / 1 1/2 Cup Plain Flour
1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
100g / 2/3 Cup Chocolate Chips or Chunks

Method:

Preheat your oven to 180c / 160c Fan Oven / 340f and line a baking tray with baking parchment.

In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.

Now beat in the egg vigorously, followed by the vanilla and almond extracts.

Sift your flour and baking powder into the egg and butter mixture and gently fold it till it is just incorporated.

Add in the chocolate chips or chunks and continue to mix until they are evenly distributed throughout the dough.

Pop the dough into the fridge and allow it to chill for at least 30 minutes.

Then taking generous tablespoon amounts of the dough, roll them into rough balls and place them atleast 5cm apart to allow for spreading.

Bake them in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes and golden brown on the edges.

Once baked allow them to cool on the paper for a tleast 10 minutes or until the have set so that they are easy enough to transfer to the wire cooling rack to continue cooling.

6 comments:

  1. I loooove chocolate chip cookies! Nothing like a slightly warm cookie fresh out of the oven :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! So soft and chewy! Do you cut your friends' hair? Or is that a bad plan for the obvious reasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha no I still do the odd haircut on close friends but that's as far as my hairdressing goes anymore lol

      Delete
  3. I have tried so many chocolate chip cookie recipe, and I like most of them, but yours look down-right amazing!!!!! I will have to try these next time I want a chocolate chip cookie. Thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks I'll admit they were pretty tasty :D if you try them let me know what you think

      Delete