Thursday, 19 June 2014

Cheese and Chive Scones

cheese and chive scones

Oh my goodness guys, I'm not going to lie to you and I'm not going to hide my slightly inappropriate excite over something a friend pointed me in the direction of a couple of days ago.

With summer holidays rolling in fast and our solid plans to homeschool our little miss I've been trying to build a little catalogue of things to do and places to visit over the next couple of years when a friend of mine asked a seemingly innocent question 'Have you heard of geocaching?'


Now obviously my answer was no (or not so obviously if you have heard of geocaching) and I was pleasantly surprised by what sounded like some rip off 'google maps' kind of thing but oh no it's a whole other world of geeky awesomeness.

When you were a kid did you do treasure hunts? Now as an adult do you wish you had an excuse to invite the excitement of treasure hunts back into your life? Well that's what geocaching is!

There is a website (quick disclaimer I am not advertising this website and haven't been asked to do so, I just think it's totally awesome) where you can download the geocache app. There is a free one and one that you can pay for. Basically it pinpoints where you are and finds you your nearest treasure hunt, you can even add your own one.

cheese and chive scones

I happen to find out we have two in our town, who knew!! They range from treasure hunts which result in log books where you write your names, to finding a box where you can place in an item and remove an item.

I'll be honest I'm as giddy as a Christmas elf to try this out. I think it'll be great fun, I've even got himself on board.

And completely unrelated, when you've overloaded on sugar but still have a bit of the baking bug there are so many savoury baked options out there. Honestly sometimes I forget this but I won't be forgetting these scones in a hurry (or biscuits? as I think some of you from the USA call them).

Packed full of mature cheddar and some Parmesan cheese with a healthy sprinkle of chives these scones are divine. They're fluffy and really deserve to be smothered in a very good quality butter before being enjoyed. They're not for the heart conscious I'll admit but as a treat these are quite the ticket.

cheese and chive scones

Makes 8-10 Scones

Ingredients:

250g / 2 Cups Plain Flour
1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
60g / 1/4 Butter, Cold and diced
40g / 1/2 Cup Mature Cheddar Cheese, grated
24g / 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
2 Tbsp Chives, Chopped
180ml / 3/4 Cup Whole Milk

Plus extra grated cheddar to top the scones with, optional

Method:

Preheat you're oven to 220c / 425f and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.

In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and black pepper.

Now gently rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips keeping everything as cold as possible until you're left with what looks like fine bread crumbs.

Stir in the two types of cheese and the chives, then follow by slowly adding the milk until it is all incorporated. The dough may feel a little wet but do not fear as long as you can pick it up and it's not running through you're fingers you are still ok.

Dust a flat surface with flour and quickly knead your dough until it is nicely combined.

Follow by patting it into a 2 inch thick circle and using a circular cookie cutter cut out the scones, placing each one on your baking tray.

The size of your cookie cutter will determine how many scones you will get. I like a big scone so I only got my stated 8 scones out of the dough but if you like smaller scones you may get 10 or 12 out of it.

Sprinkle the scones with some more cheddar cheese and then pop them into the oven for 10-15 minutes until cooked.

Allow them to cool on a wire cooling rack, although these are even more delicious eaten still slightly warm.

8 comments:

  1. Oh I have always wanted to get good at making scones - love the look of this savoury version! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, I'll admit I'm more of a fan of savoury scones than the sweet version. I think it's my addiction to cheese

      Delete
  2. Oh! Delicious! IAnother excuse to have scones for lunch! he he!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you ever need an excuse to eat scones for lunch?? :D

      Delete
  3. These look tasty, I can imagine these would be great dunked into soup, yum! Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I never thought of dipping them in soup but what a fab idea. I totally need to whip up another batch just to eat with some soup now

      Delete
  4. Jennifer McCleary2 July 2014 04:57

    I really enjoy your blog and am inspired to try new recipes when I see your latest posts. For these scones, can you substitute buttermilk or soy milk? Thank you for continuing to share your kitchen adventures with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh jennifer thankyou so much, that does mean a lot. I wouldn't know about soy milk but I'm sure buttermilk would be easy enough to swap in, the dough itself might be a little drier but I'm sure the scones would come out fabulous still!

      Delete